Update Your Unit on the BeAScout Map
Make recruiting easier and update any changed Unit meeting information on the BeAScout.org website.
Only the following Registered Leaders in your Unit have the ability to update your Unit's Meeting Location on the "Be A Scout" Map, and to change to your Unit's Pin.
(A) Unit Leader: this means your Cubmaster, Scoutmaster, Varsity Coach, Crew Advisor or Skipper.
(B) Unit Committee Chair.
(C) Chartered Organization Representative.
Step by Step Instructions to update your pin on BeAScout.org:
This process should take less than 10 minutes:
- Step 1. Log onto your account at “MyScouting.org” and select “BeAScout” from the Unit Tools section on the left-hand Menu. A new page will be displayed: There are two "tabs" on this Window, and you should be on "Unit Pin Management" - if not, then click the "Unit Pin Management" tab.
- Step 2. Take a moment to look-over the Unit Pin Management screen: If at any time you are lost, look for the "Help" link in the upper right-hand corner of the page for help. Also, note that the "Google Pin Preview" section, in the bottom-right area of the page, will display what will appear on the Google Map. It will change as you enter/edit information in these steps.
- Step 3. Check the "Unit Description" - this box contains a combination of your unit name & your chartered organization. If that the information is incorrect then reach out to your District Executive (DE) for assistance.
- Step 4: if your Scout Unit has a web site, then enter the web address (URL) here. Otherwise, enter http://www.gardenstatescouting.org so they will be directed to the Garden State Council web site. You can always edit this field later if your Unit establishes a Web site.
- Step 5. update the Alternate Unit Description: many Units opt to type their Unit type & number followed by their Meeting location (example: "Pack 867 - Lincoln Elementary")
- Step 6: make sure the Pin Status says "Active" if you want your Pin visible to perspective Scouts and Parents on the Google Map.
- Step 7a: select your Primary Contact. This person will receive all emails from prospective Scout parents, so be sure to let the person know that they will be responding to all parent leads. If the fields in this section are "grey" then you must check the "Contact Person" box in the "Fields Displayed on Google Pin" section at the bottom-left side of the page. If the person is already a Registered Adult Leader in your Scout Unit, then their name will be selectable from a list. Once selected, all information is automatically provided in this section's fields.
- Step 7b: Also be sure to check all the information with the Primary Contact Volunteer & edit fields that are no longer current (Example: a phone number or email address changes). It is very important that you keep this information up-to-date as Volunteers & contact information will change over time.
- Step 8. Enter the location where your unit holds its meetings (address information). This address will dictate where your unit pin will appear on Google Maps. Note that it may be helpful to enter the name of your Meeting Location "Address 1" and the street address on "address 2"
- Step 9. Check the Google PIN Preview - this is a preview of what will appear on the map. Parents will only be able to see what is in this box, so please Review it carefully for accuracy.
- NOTE: There is an option to change the icon from a Scouting map symbol representing your unit type to something else. Please DO NOT change the unit logo icon.
- Step 10. Once you are done, click the “SAVE” button and your information will be uploaded.
(For a more information please click on the attachment below)