COVID-19 Closures and Continuances
Garden State Council Family –
Please share this communication with others who may not be receiving it.
As the situation related to COVID-19 continues to evolve, the volunteer and professional leadership of the Council have jointly decided to suspend all face-to-face (in-person) interactions until April 30. This becomes effective at 5:00 p.m., March 16.
- All scheduled District and Council events during this period (including the Eagle Recognition Dinner, Council Recognition Banquet, and District dinners) will be postponed until after April 30.
- The Rowan and Riggins Service Centers, as well as all camping properties, will be closed until April 30.
- The Rowan and Riggins Scout Shops remain open, for advance order and pick-up only. If you would like something from a Scout Shop, please call us at 609-261-5850 and place an order.
The other operations of the Garden State Council will continue through remote work. For field and admin support, contact your District-serving Executive or the Service Center at 609-261-5850.
Units with reservations at a council camp through April 30 will be contacted to reschedule for a new date and adventure. Scouts working on deadline projects (such as the Eagle award) will be given extensions equivalent to any disruption in the council’s operations.
All other face-to-face meetings, including units, and District and Council committees, are suspended through April 30.
The need for Scouting is more important than ever. As young people and their families spend more time at home, it is essential the program continues to be delivered. The council requests all meetings continue remotely.
Before the end of the week, the Council will share ideas and resources for remote programming. There will be further communication soon on online supplemental programming from the Council that your unit can use.
We will be communicating through three channels. Be sure to stay connected:
- Like and follow our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/gardenstatebsa/
- Sign up for our e-newsletter, the Knapsack
- Stay tuned to our website: http://www.gardenstatescouting.org/
Again, these measures are in place through April 30. Expect regular updates from the Council as the situation evolves, and encourage other parents and volunteers to keep informed. The BSA is the leader in teaching young people to “do their best” and “be prepared.”
For 110 years, our organization has risen to the occasion during times of crisis. Let’s use this challenging time to rise to the occasion, help stem the tide, and continue to deliver Scouting the best way we can.
Thanks for all you do on behalf of young people.
Ed Lynes, Council President
John Laielli, Council Commissioner
Patrick Linfors, Scout Executive