National Youth Leadership Training is the BSA’s premier experience for emerging youth leaders.
WHAT IS NYLT?
NYLT is the premier week-long outdoor leadership experience geared toward both present and future leaders within the troops, crews, and ships around Garden State Council. Participants will be engaged in hands-on training led by South Jersey’s finest youth staff that will cover criteria essential to leading within your unit, school, and life. Not only that, but their time here will reflect “one month in the life of your unit”, as characterized by the Official National BSA NYLT Course. All this done within a risk free, Scout-friendly environment.
To attend NYLT, Scouts must:
- Be a youth; AT LEAST 14 years old by the start of the course.
- Have achieved 1st Class Rank by the start of the course.
(Scouts BSA Only)
- Live by the Scout Oath and Law.
- Have knowledge of basic outdoor skills
(Cooking, fire building, knots/lashings).
- Be willing to practice their new NYLT skills.
with their home unit
- Have Unit Leader recommendation.
- Have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills training.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Any scout who currently holds or is planning
to hold a unit leadership position in the near
- Scouts looking to improve their leadership
and problem solving skills.
- Scouts who want to learn how to be better
citizens in their home, troop and school.