Units must complete the Charter Renewal process annually in order to remain active in the Scouting program. This process involves checking your roster, verifying position and contact information, adding and deleting members, and paying the National BSA annual registration, charter, and insurance fees.
Get Ready for Something New!
The National Council has published the Internet Rechartering 2.0 User Guide and a new Frequently Asked Questions documents.
NEW fillable Journey to Excellence (JTE) forms! The JTE is a great tool for planning and assessing your unit’s Scouting program on an annual basis.
Upcoming Recharter 2022 events –
- September 22, 2021 – The Internet Rechartering sandbox environment will be made available for each unit. This will be a practice copy of the new system where you can test the new process without actually changing your unit’s data.
- September 27, 2021 at 9:00 PM EDT – Internet Rechartering 2.0 Webinar. A walk through each step of the new Internet Recharter 2.0 experience! Register here: https://scouting-org.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_6Xphbn0QR4a40KgCZEfR6A
- October 15, 2021 – The new Internet Rechartering System will be available for you to begin processing your 2022 Charter (Read below for details).
- December 10, 2021 – 2022 charter renewal due – either online or the council office
The new Internet Rechartering system can be accessed through Internet Advancement 2.0 starting on October 15, 2021. More information and training materials are scheduled to be available on September 1, 2021, at which point Council will update our Internet Rechartering resource page.
What Units Can Do Now
To get ready for Unit Recharter and the new system launch in October, you can do a few simple things to make sure you have a Recharter Ready Roster!
- Step 1 – Confirm your membership. In my.Scouting.org, select your unit, go into the Organization Manager and click on the Roster function. This shows your adult and youth members that are registered with the BSA. You can filter the list by Adults or Youth or export your roster into a printable PDF or a CSV file (spreadsheet). Make sure everyone you think should be on your roster is really on your roster!
- Step 2 – Confirm your Key 3. Make sure the adults registered as the Committee Chair, Unit Leader (Cubmaster, Scoutmaster, Crew Advisor or Skipper), and Chartered Organization Representative are correct and are currently active in your unit. Having accurate information about the Key 3 is important. We’ll be sending emails about your recharter directly to them and they’re the ones who will have access to the new Internet Rechartering system.
By the way – Do these two steps in my.Scouting.org, not Scoutbook. my.Scouting.org is the actual registration database, while Scoutbook is a separate and not always accurate copy.
Your District Executives, Commissioners, and the Council Staff are all looking forward to renewing every unit’s charter and getting ready for another Great Year of Scouting!