Our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Vision: To partner with all families and communities in raising young people of high moral character, developing their leadership skills, and preparing them to serve and thrive in a world of increasing diversity, complexity, and challenge.
Our DEI Mission: The Boy Scouts of America promotes a culture in which every youth, volunteer, and employee feels a sense of belonging and builds communities where every person feels respected and valued. Leading by example and encouraging each other to live by the values expressed by the Scout Oath and Scout Law, we welcome families of all backgrounds and help prepare young people to serve as successful members and leaders of our nation’s increasingly diverse communities.
Our Goal: The goal of the Citizenship in Society merit badge is to help educate Scouts on what diversity, equity, and inclusion are; why they are important; and how to lead ethically and inclusively to contribute to the cultivation of an environment of belonging for all Scouts. This merit badge is one of the educational and awareness initiatives the BSA is implementing to ensure every youth feels welcomed and wholly included, to achieve a sense of belonging with the Scouts, and to prepare them for success in our ever-evolving world.
Become a Merit Badge Counselor
Garden State Council’s process for becoming a counselor for the Citizenship in Society merit badge:
New Merit Badge Counselors:
- Complete a BSA adult application and criminal background check authorization form.
- Complete a Merit Badge Counselor Information Form, and indicate that you are applying to counsel the Citizenship in Society merit badge. Do not put any other merit badges on this form.
- Complete the BSA Youth Protection Training course (available online at My.Scouting.org) and save a copy of your completion certificate.
- Complete the BSA Merit Badge Counselor Training course (available online at My.Scouting.org) and save a copy of your completion certificate.
- Complete the BSA Diversity, Equity & Inclusion course (available online at My.Scouting.org) and save a copy of your completion certificate.
- Submit all forms from items 1-5, including copies of all completion certificates, to the Garden State Council office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Upon receipt of all documents, complete an interview with a Garden State Council Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Lead. You will be contacted to schedule the interview.
- View the Counselor and General online videos. Also review the Citizenship in Society Counselor Guide.
- Attend a Citizenship in Society merit badge counselor orientation. Council will provide you with upcoming dates.
- Upon successful completion of all steps above, you will be approved to counsel the Citizenship in Society merit badge.
Current BSA Merit Badge Counselors
You have already completed items 1, 3, and 4 in the above list. Double check that your Youth Protection Training is not close to expiration, and proceed to items 2, 5-10.
Please note: Not all individuals who apply will be approved as a Citizenship in Society merit badge counselor.